ADVERTISNG GUIDELINES FOR THE ROOTES REVIEW

Home Forums TE/AE Official Business ADVERTISNG GUIDELINES FOR THE ROOTES REVIEW

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

It has come to my attention that we do not have any guidelines or disclaimers about advertising in the Rootes Review, especially when it comes to members’ ads.

While everyone should ask questions and request photos when thinking about purchasing a car or part, some do not. It may be because they trust other members to be honest and forthcoming about condition, damage, etc.

We currently have two members who are arguing about the condition of a part that member #1 sold to member #2. Member #2 asked on the Tiger net site for a part in good, bondo free, rust free and undamaged condition. Member #1 responded with an email stating he had said part in excellent condition.

The deal was struck. When member #1 received the part it was in no way in excellent condition, having all the problems that member #1 specifically asked that it not have. He and member #2 have argued for several weeks about the interpretation of the terminology used in the emails.

No solution has been reached, since member #1 has stopped communicating with #2. Member #2 wants to put an email into the RR stating what his problem is with member #1 and that everyone should stay away from member #1’s parts ads.

This background does not affect us directly, but I think we need some sort of disclaimers so that we, as an organization, do not get drawn into this type of situation.

It does not have to be all legaleezed, but should be a simple statement saying we are not responsible for the accuracy of the advertising of members cars, parts, etc., and if there is a problem don’t come to us. Figure it out yourselves.

For paid advertising we should also have a disclaimer that we do not endorse or vouch for the ethics of the advertisers.

I doubt we have any liability, but it doesn’t hurt to be careful. Unfortunately we live in a "I’m going to sue you" era.

Fred

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.