September 9, 2005 at 11:39 pm #11530Kerch McConlogueKeymaster
Officers & BOD: Below are the minutes from our meeting at the United on 8/26/05.
Board of Directors Meeting – Friday, August 26, 2005
In attendance: Anthony DiBattista, Chuck King, Susan DiBattista, Tiger Tom Ehrhart, Robert Jaarsma, Jim Morrison, John Logan Sr., Ranney Dohogne, Tom Calvert, Dan Fitzgerald, Fred Baum, Steve Halbrook, Eric Gibeaut
Meeting called to order at: 8:13PM
Roll call taken and quorum is present.
The previous minutes were read by Susan DiBattista, Secretary
1) Decline of Club Assets: possible dues increase, wait for F. Baum projected cost of newsletter in future. F. Baum to work w/P. Almjeld to find cheaper printing. F. Baum did layout by himself. Called F. Baum to discuss newsletter printing. He did some of the layout and printer completed layout. Microsoft PrintShop suggested by R. Jaarsma. Kinkos suggested by J. Logan. Bulk mailing permit by F. Baum looked into – club can’t get permit. Fred suggested mailing labels. A. DiBattista asked Fred to put together a cost/budget proposal for newsletter to submit for review at United. V. Moon to call printer for an itemized bill each month. C. King suggested R. Dohogne looking into local printer. A. DiBattista suggested F. Baum look into forum discussions started by Stu Brennan (bi-monthly, etc) and incorporate into his proposal. TT complimented Fred on his efforts/proactiveness on newsletter. T. Calvert suggests raising dues, inevitable even if new printer is found to save cost. A. DiBattista asked where club’s saving account is invested. V. Moon – 3% return on money. A. DiBattista agrees w/T. Calvert in raising dues ($5.00 increase) sometime in the future. TT suggests waiting for F. Baum’s projected budget of newsletter before dues increase. Fundraising? J. Logan suggests doing comparison among other clubs dues. Will United make money? Most previous have made money. J. Morrison never saw final budget. Budget seemed to be a takeoff on TT’s united. Treasurer has received $2600.00 from J. Miller and looking for another $2600.00 J. Miller has not asked for any money from club. C. King asked whether budget received from J. Miller can be considered a final approved budget? J. Morrison suggests fault is w/BOD for not following thru. J. Miller was pushed for final budget and registration needed to be published. Ranney asked are we liable for autocross with other clubs participating. A. DiBattista asked C. King for update from J. Miller on United autocross. A. DiBattista will email F. Baum – reminder of looking for advertisements. C. King thinks United registration will make some money as projected. V. Moon will compile projected United Registration income and put in Excel spreadsheet, send to J. Miller for his comments.
2) Marketing of TE/AE / Club name change – President likes current club name. J. Morrison agrees. C. King, J. Logan agree also. President supports TE/AE Chapter under umbrella organization. President received positive responses from other clubs. Trademark issue – R. Guerra added our name to opposition list. TT proposes changing name, but how do we develop it? TT says our club has taken leadership in developing umbrella organization. Suggestion to possibly changing our by-laws. C. King suggests taking a vote at United for membership feel. J. Morrison & J. Logan suggested not polling membership on name change.
3) Regional Representatives concerns & Out of pocket expenses – President doesn’t see problem w/regional representatives & event expenses. J. Morrison had this same discussion 2 yrs ago. Either rep plans on their own or submits budget for approval. Why do reps have problem planning? Out of pocket cash up front might be a problem for some people. A. DiBattista spoke w/reps earlier in the yr to make them warm & fuzzy about putting on regional events. A. DiBattista gave reps his support and also the support of the club.
4) Comments from other clubs on SUNI and Autocross rules: President reads comments from other club Presidents in response to his letter. Positive comments from STOA. SAOCA also sent positive comments (Mike Phillips) and also Dick Sanders (PTC). Recommend J. Morrison & J. Logan to comment on PTC’s autocross rules. President to forward autocross rules for their comments prior to United. J. Teepan from CAT has not responded. President to contact him again. President read M. Palmier’s letter in response to SUNI letter. TT suggests bringing other clubs together to voice a say in United. Board doesn’t think we’ll change Max’s thoughts on future SUNI’s. Suggestion to hold a TE/AE event within the same year as next SUNI. Nat’l org, autocross rules combined to bring clubs together.
Communication among clubs & standardize autocross rules
R. Jaarsma suggests having a mini-united during the year of SUNI for members who don’t attend SUNI. Suggestions for next SUNI location to be sent to M. Palmier (Indianapolis).
President will invite other club presidents to meet at United mtg. A. DiBattista talked about letter in Tiger Tales from East Coast person raving about Tiger Tales. AD will contact that person about our club.
5) BOD meeting time at United XXV – A. DiBattista suggestions Friday evening. J. Morrison suggests moving until after dinner. A.DiBattista suggests 8:00pm for mtg. Suggestion agreed upon.
6) Replacement of vacant Representative posts – Steve Halbrook is suggested as Florida/Georgia rep taking over for John Webber (recommended) by J. Webber. J. Morrison asked which regions are vacant. (Fl-GA, VA, Deep South, NJ). A. DiBattista will contact S. Halbrook and ask him to submit nomination for rep and read the clubs by-laws. Discussion on whether new rep should get signatures. After discussion, BOD decided no need for signatures. Vote taken on S. Halbrook for FL/GA. All agreed. President to contact S. Halbrook on new position. T. Calvert asks about plan for filling other vacancies. A. DiBattista to contact B. Mounce on vacant regional representative spot. A.D to contact E. Esslinger for suggestions on vacancies in Deep South. Also, Russ Eshelman.
Question raised on whether B. Mounce has an interest in publicity position?
7) Concours Rules for 2006 – B. Sharkey commented on rules for ’06. we’ll use existing rules for this yr and they are posted on website. D. Johnson was working on Tiger rules (Alpha-Romeo) but put on hold for this year. Need person for Alpine rules. J. Logan suggests M. Phillips (SAOCA) to work Alpine rules. B. Sharkey asks do we really need a concours. TT suggests using United to look for people to rewrite new rules. Suggestion for judges meeting before concours. Current concours rules will apply for United XXV. TT suggests changing numbers on judging sheets. Reduce count from 10 to 6 on “general appearance” (stock) and add 2 points to “Adherence to originality and authenticity”.
R. Jaarsma talked about the website and how it isn’t popular enough with members and outsiders.
Action item: Meet after United and ask for suggestions on people to rewrite rules. President will ask Mike Phillips for names from his club to help w/concours rules. President will contact all Presidents and M. Palmier for a copy of their concours rules.
– President has not contacted presidents. Will do so after United.
Action item: C. King to contact Parkers about Castle Tours and be prepared to refund money at registration. Suggestion to pick time to go as a group. Possibly 2:00PM on Friday. Decision to be made in a few days. Canceled Friday Tech Sessions.
United Items from C. King: 19 pre-registration forms received as of today, Parkers emailed everyone for dinner choices (missing from original registration form), security for cars (do we need it?).
– Security guard for all 3 nights at $10.00/hr.
Minutes approved and agreed upon as read.
COMMITTEE REPORTS (New Business):
Treasurer: V. Moon not present. In treasurer’s absence, President gave a brief report as follows:
1) Newsletter costs continue to come down, 2) Membership income is $962.00 over newsletter cost YTD, 3) Club is on target to be in the black for 2005, 4) Current club cash balance: $8800.00.
Regalia: E Gibeaut not present
Newsletter: Fred presented copies of proposals from printers. Fred to look into cost of 4-color printing.
Converting files to PDF. F. Baum to look into cost of PDF files.
Membership: 590 members. 47 states, PA has most members followed by FL & OH.
32 new members, 80 dropped members (not renewed). 404 tigers, 289 alpines, 24 other.
Website: Jim D’Amelio not present.
New Business (Agenda):
Trademark Issues: Frank Mooney present, our legal council. Person filed a trademark for our name. Club had 30 days to oppose it. Opposition was filed on July 21st on behalf of TE/AE. Also Sunbeam Specialists, STOA, CAT at the cost of $600.00. Michael Hughes is due to respond to our opposition as to why our opposition isn’t valid. Clothing, automotive (2 categories). Would get exclusivity on the name. Our club has used the name for 30-40 years. Sunbeam Alpine trademark name was denied. “Sunbeam” was issued to him in automotive & clothing. Once he responses to opposition, we can contact him directly. Each club has filed an opposition separately. Rob Guerra will send letter to key Sunbeam businesses asking for each to reimburse the four clubs for a total of 70% reimbursement to the clubs. President didn’t realize that all clubs weren’t splitting the cost. President will look closer at future out of pocket costs from club.
Declining Club Assets: F. Baum working on reducing costs of newsletter. Won’t know budget of united until later. Dues increase ($3- 5 increase) is inevitable. Won’t vote on increase until after new printer is found. E. Gibeaut asked about email softcopy of newsletter vs. hardcopy. Suggested giving an option to members to choose email instead. F. Baum said it wouldn’t be much of a savings to the club. Most cost is in setup not postage. R. Jaarsma suggests bi-monthly as a cost savings. 40% of club members have email addresses. J. Morrison suggested sending a link containing the monthly newsletter to members. Members who chose this method might receive a slight dues decrease. J. Morrison suggests polling members of their interest. TT suggests putting it in place w/o a vote.
Motion to J. Morrison to coordinate w/webmaster to publish newsletter link.
New Regional Representatives: Steve Halbrook is present at United. President will introduce Steve at GMM. President will call for vote on Dan Fitzgerald as new rep for VA. Vote accepted.
R. Dohogne suggests looking at regions for reps vs. membership. Possibly redefining the regions. Bill Evans suggested as a new rep. President will contact B. Evans for his interest in position. Still looking to fill a few vacancies.
United XXVI: John Engle suggested for next United host. TT suggests going thru roster and call members for next United. Announcement will be made at GMM for United host for 2006.
United XXV: BOD are disappointed with facilities of United. President went over the estimated budget (based on 100 registrants) and updated with actual thru 8/19/05.
Registration income ($90.93 pp) Budget $9093.00 Actual $20177.50
Hospitality Suite ($15.40 pp) $1540.00
Banquet ($32.00 pp) $3200.00
Concours (Food & Museum) $1600.00
Dash Plaques $300.00
Total Expenses $8885.00
Net Revenue $208.00
$252.00 in regalia sales so far as reported by E. Gibeaut.
Election of BOD Mtg: Jim Morrison & John Logan. J. Morrison will not run again next year. J. Morrison to ask Carl Moon to run for BOD.
TT seconds vote.
Dan Cameron, Jim D’Amelio, Bob Harper, Steve Hansen. Rick McCurdy, Carl Moon, Bob Sharkey, Steve Silverstein as suggested names. John Sybrandt suggested by J. Morrison.
Nominations are announced at GMM and newsletter. GM can nominate at GMM.
J. Morrison will talk to R. McCurdy, John Sybrandt & J. Logan to talk to Bob Harper.
Officers: President accepts nomination for another yr. Vice President accepts nomination also. J. Morrison as back up for Treasurer. BOD to ask V. Moon if she’s running again. Suggestions for new Treasurer. Motion called for: Officers are suggested. TT to contact V. Moon.
TT & R. Jaarsma second the motion.
Action Item: J. Morrison to send letter to list of people who joined CAT but not TE/AE for their interest in our club.
Action Item: discussion on providing PDF files directly to printer to save on costs to move to forum for continued discussion.
Action Item: R. Dohogne to compare CAT’s roster vs. TE/AE roster.
Meeting adjourned at: 10:42pm
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.