Off to French Lick again

Date posted here does not necessarily match the date minutes were submitted.

December 27, 2010 at 7:16 pm
pjmotorsports

hello everybody

well im off again to french lick to negotiate our contract some more.I am working my hardest to lower room rates from 139.00 to 129.00 a night.I feel with tigers east being ready to sign on dotted line we might have a little more leverage to negotiate.If we get a lower rate of 129 a night this brings us right around the cost of owls head.but once tax is included this brings the rates back to around 139.00 a night total,,instead of 149.00 with the old rate and tax..Another issue that just came up was our dinner cruise on the railway cars,it seems they booked up for our weekend so I found TWO more options,The first is another railway cruise in a neighboring county(about 20 miles drive)I was thinking this may be alittle further than what we would like to travel.(its dark at night in the woods so with lucas guiding our way that might not work out so well)My second pick is a lake tour,I know its been done over and over again but that is located in french lick and minimal drive time required..just wanted to keep everybody informed on our happenings..

thanks
Pat Johnson

December 27, 2010 at 10:32 pm
Eric and Bonnie Gibeaut

Thanks for keeping us posted Pat! Sorry to hear the train trip and dinner is off. I like trains too and that would have been great fun and a United first as far as I know. It is good to see you talking up the United on the Alpine club’s website too. Keep spreading the word! Eric

December 28, 2010 at 1:33 am
pjmotorsports

Confirmed as of 5 minutes ago—Landspeed Record Holder Larry Mayfield will be attending as a featured guest and banquet speaker.some talks have been made about his Alpine being at United as well..Along with some other Sunbeam racers this is really looking up to be a great United and it hasnt even started yet.

Thanks
Pat

December 28, 2010 at 1:36 am
pjmotorsports

Eric,
Is there any more info on your Harrington meet in March?It would be kinda neat to get something like this at our United as well.Or at least attract more rare rootes.

December 28, 2010 at 2:22 am
Eric and Bonnie Gibeaut

Pat there is not going to be any special Harrington gathering this year for several reasons-mainly that I just organized the last Sunbeam Alpine club’s Invasion this last May and I don’t relish doing another large event anytime soon! Also the reality is that only a handful of Harringtons would show up anyway. In the last 30 years of attending Uniteds the most Harringtons that ever showed up at a United was at Covington, Kentucky when 4 of them were there. 2011- besides being the United XXX- is also the 50th anniversary of the Harrington Alpine. I plan on driving my Harrington to the United. Maybe Harrington cars could be the “featured Marque” of the United? Eric

Attachments:

December 29, 2010 at 4:45 am
pjmotorsports

eric,
I understand on not wanting to assemble another meet.It is without a doubt not an easy task.I would love to have the Harringtons as a featured mark.If 4 showed up at Covington we might be able to get that crowd in French Lick.I really liked that harrington race car,D class maybe.my knowledge is rusty on alpines.There has been talk about some talbots showing up as well so maybe we could feature multiple rare Rootes?

Board members,
Today I signed my life away,on the hotel contract that is.It kills me to say this but I was NOT able to get the rates of rooms negotiated down,Since the hotel already went down in price so much for our group.Just as a comparison the shelby group had contacted french lick last year as new location for our spring fling,They would fill up all 443 rooms at the hotel and the lowest rate they recieved was 190 a night.I understand this is the most we have payed to date but feel it is within reason for most attendants,however they are willing to amend some items if we go over our block numbers.so getting the word out early will be crucial to us.
The speedway is also confirmed for our autocross,but have several question id like to ask the board

Thanks
Pat